The Mercury Colony Park is a full-size station wagon that was marketed by the Mercury division of Ford Motor Company between 1957 and 1991. Distinguished by its simulated wood-grain paneling, the Colony Park was marketed as either the premium-trim or the sole full-size station wagon offering of the division. Following the demise of Edsel, full-size Mercury and Ford vehicles adopted similar bodyshells, with the Colony Park becoming the counterpart of the Ford Country Squire until their discontinuation.
As the minivan and four-door SUV segment expanded in the late 1980s, sales of full-size station wagons declined, including the Colony Park. As the Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis sedans underwent a major redesign for the 1992 model year, the station wagon body style was dropped from the model lineup, leaving the Colony Park with no direct replacement (through the closure of the Mercury brand). For 1957, the Mercury model line underwent major revisions. Instead of sharing bodies with trim distinguishing each division, Edsel and Mercury would share the chassis and powertrain (an all-new line of V8 engines), with each model line having different wheelbases and completely distinct exterior panels.Another change involved the branding of station wagons, involving both Ford and Mercury. Split away from the Monterey model line, Mercury introduced three new station wagons as a separate model line for 1957. Two-door and four-door station wagons were sold as a base-trim Mercury Commuter and mid-price Mercury Voyager; the top-trim wood-grained Mercury Colony Park was sold with only four-doors. To distinguish itself from Ford (and Edsel), all Mercury station wagons given hardtop rooflines. Marketed as the flagship of the Mercury station wagon model line (alongside the Ford-based Edsel Bermuda sold only for 1958), the Mercury Colony Park was trimmed similar to the Mercury Montclair, above the Monterey. The interior featured an electric clock as a standard feature; a padded dash was optional. Sharing its powertrain with the Montclair and the Mercury Turnpike Cruiser, the 1957 Colony Park was fitted with a 368 cubic-inch Lincoln Y-Block V8. For 1958, the Y-block was replaced by two "MEL" V8s. The standard engine was a 383 cubic-inch V8 with a 430 cubic-inch V8 available as an option; a "Super Marauder" triple-carburetor option for the 430 was the first American mass-production engine rated at 400 hp. For the 1959 model year, the Mercury Colony Park underwent a complete redesign. Following the introduction of the 1958 Mercury Park Lane, the Colony Park (and the rest of the Mercury line) extended its wheelbase to 126.0 in (3,200 mm). Originally intended to share a chassis with the premium Edsel Corsair and Edsel Citation(Edsel wagons were Ford-based, including the woodgrain Edsel Bermuda), the Mercury division was left with its own chassis for 1959. As with the previous generation, the station wagon line remained distinct from Mercury sedans; the Mercury Voyager and the two-door Mercury Commuter were dropped. As before, all four-door Mercury station wagons were produced with hardtop rooflines. For 1959, the Colony Park shared its 322hp Marauder V8 with the Montclair and Monterey. For 1960, the 430 V8 made its return. In place of the 400hp Super Marauder triple-carburetor version, a single 4-barrel carburetor was fitted, reducing output down to 310 hp; this engine was shared with Lincoln, Continental, and the Ford Thunderbird. As with the previous generation, both engines were paired with the Merc-O-Matic 3-speed automatic transmission.
Out of Stock